What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which are placed on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a website. Cookies are used to make the website work well or simply work more efficiently. They are also used for web analytics with the purpose of helping the users optimize their visit on the website. There are two types of cookies:
session cookies and persistent cookies:
- session cookies are created temporarily in your browser’s subfolder while you are visiting a website. These cookies expire and are automatically deleted when you close your internet browser.
- persistent cookies remain in your browser’s subfolder and are activated again once you visit the website that created that particular cookie. A persistent cookie does not expire when you close your browser, it remains in the browser’s subfolder for the duration period set within the cookie’s file.
What are cookies used for?
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help us recognize and count the number of visitors, analyze how well our website is performing, remember your username and preferences. This makes it possible to match your preferred interests more quickly and make the content displayed more relevant to you. Below you will find an overview of what cookies are used on our websites and what their function is:
|Type of Cookie||Function||Data Collection|
|Essential cookies||Sometimes called “strictly necessary” cookies as without them we cannot provide many services that you need on our site (for example, they are used to enable you to log into secure areas of our website).||These cookies only identify your computer
or mobile device. They do not identify you as an individual, which means only information which is not individually identifiable is stored in these cookies.
|Functionality cookies||These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).||The information these cookies collect may include personally identifiable information that you have disclosed, such as your username.|
|Targeted cookies||Targeted cookies are used by advertisers on our website. They track your browser when you visit different websites to understand what you’re interested in, and use this information to display more relevant advertisements to you.||These cookies may be stored and accessed by third-parties providing the used tools.|
How to manage and disable cookies?
In the settings of your internet browser you can choose whether or not to accept cookies. However, you must be aware of the fact that if you use your browser settings to block all cookies you may lose some features and functionality on our website or you may not be able to access some parts of the website.
The following websites provide information on how to manage and adjust the cookies settings on some popularbrowsers:
- Google Chrome – https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en&p=cpn_cookies
- Microsoft Internet Explorer http://www.microsoft.com/info/cookies.mspx
- Mozilla Firefox http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Cookies
If you use other browsers you can check the support section of their websites to find out how to manage and disable cookies.
To find out more about cookies in general, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and disable them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org